If you were judging by the temperatures in Tulsa, you wouldn’t guess it’s already December. But the mild weather just means it’s easier to get out and see more art! Below are some upcoming Tulsa area events we’re looking forward to. As usual, we’ve also collected some tech & design stories from last month. Special this month: a Holiday Gift Guide for your fellow artists/designers!
ADCT Holiday Party – December
We are working hard to plan an event that will be casual and fun. Let’s get to know each other, and hang out! We don’t want to spoil the fun though, so details will be coming soon. Stay tuned!
Other December Events
- Gilcrease Open Studio – December 4th, 4-7 pm. Bring your supplies and join the group in the beautiful setting of the Gilcrease Museum.
- First Friday Art Crawl – December 7th, 6 -9 pm. View this month’s map and listing of events. ADCT members may be especially interested in visiting the Polypress Letterpress Shop or the Zarrow Arts and Educational Center (currently showing a collection of blown-glass; artists will be there to discuss their work). Also be sure to drop by Living Arts for…
- Four Elements opening reception – December 7th, 6-9 pm. A collection of works by nationally recognized artists, based in metal, ceramic, wood and glass. Enjoy the art, or even purchase a piece as a unique gift.
- Tightrope Gallery, featuring photographer Michael Worful – Opening reception December 7th, 6-9 pm. The designer and photographer will exhibit his work in an exhibit titled “Meet Me at the Spot.”
- Pop-Up Shops – Visit Tulsa’s Deco District and support local artists. They’re only open until Christmas, so get down there soon! Centered off Boston between 5th and 6th, you’ll find a mix of retail, sweets, art and more.
- Rocker and Photographer Ryan Adams – December 10th, 3-4:30 pm. A conversation with the artist at Philbrook. Space is limited, RSVP here.
- Concept/OK: Art in Oklahoma – December 16th, 1-5 pm. Visit AHHA for the Oklahoma Visual Artist Coalition’s debut of their inaugural Concept/OK exhibition. Featuring the works of 17 Tulsa-area artists.
Holiday Edition: Gift Ideas
- ADCT Membership: Give your designer friends a really unique gift that looks great on a resume, and will make you look good to boot. We still have a lot of awesome speakers lined up this season, and memberships give you a discount on our annual Graphex design awards.
- Gaia: Book of beautiful photographs of Earth. Proceeds go to helping give world-wide access to safe, clean water.
- Golden Grenade: Dwelling Spaces is offering these amazing limited edition gold grenades, replicas of the one Wayne Coyne brought in his bag to the OKC airport back in September. Each grenade is signed by Coyne and filled with glitter and confetti.
- Pantone Universe: We can never have enough pantone accessories. Mugs, iPhone covers, luggage tags and more!
- Paper: We’re talking about an app, here. It’s award winning, and it makes drawing on an iPad intuitive again.
- Scrabble, Typography Edition: If you’re a really awesome friend, you’ll spring the $200 for this amazing typographic version of Scrabble.
- Typographic Chess: Chess has never been so cool. The only problem with this version is that we’d rather just stare at the letterforms in all their glossy glory.
- Typodarium: Sure, calendars are often a lame gift, usually comprised of awkward animal pictures. But this calendar makes us drool. 365 different fonts? Yes, please.
- Wantful: Can’t narrow down what to get for someone? Send them a custom book filled with options you select, and let them choose!
Articles and News
- Adobe opened registration for its 2013 Online Marketing Summit, to take place in Salt Lake City next March.
- Tulsa Ballet’s Ma Cong wins a national choreography award.
What were your favorite news articles from November? Are you asking for any new tech or art gifts?